Quick Links
Police Home
Community Oriented Policing
Contact Information
Central Communications
Police Department History
Staff Services Division
Crash Reports
Disposing of Unused Medicines (pdf)


The Records room is your contact for obtaining information or applying for permits. The Records window is open Monday - Friday 08:00 AM to 4:00 PM, except for holidays.

The Records Bureau is responsible for maintaining, filing, sorting and storing all records created by the South Plainfield Police Department.  This includes all Incident Reports, Motor Vehicle Crash Reports, Property and Inventory Reports and all other documents required by the State and Federal Government.


Motorists/pedestrians/other involved persons requesting police reports can
now access them online with our new link to
ww w.crashdocs.org

All other reports are available at the RECORDS window during normal business hours.

  • Motor Vehicle Crash reports
  • Investigation reports
  • Arrest reports
  • Discovery requests for your court appearance

Generally all Police reports are available within 3 to 5 business days. Motor Vehicle Crash reports should be available within five business days. However, serious crashes may take longer. If you want to be sure that your report is ready, please call (908) 226-7670.

Any Attorney or Citizen who has a case pending can file for Discovery. The proper way to make the discovery request would be to send a properly formatted discovery request to:

South Plainfield Municipal Prosecutor
2480 Plainfield Avenue
South Plainfield, NJ 07080

The Municipal Prosecutor will forward your request to the Records Section. A staff member will either call or send you a letter explaining the fees involved. All fees must be paid prior to you receiving your discovery.

If you are interested in finding out what types of reports can be released to the general public or press. Please understand that we follow and are bound by the laws of the State of New Jersey. To find the current regulations go to the OPRA page at the State of New Jersey Web Page. Click on the links to Police Department Records.


  • All accident reports are $.05 a page.  Through the mail $5.00 money order along with OPRA form
  • Handicap Parking Permits - $4.00 DMV - checks payable to NJDMV; form is available on FORMS page of this website.
  • Fingerprinting- $2.00 per card for Residents. Resident must bring fingerprint card. (by appointment only)
  • Fingerprinting for firearms applications is no longer done at this Department. The State has contracted an outside agency for firearms fingerprinting.
  • Fingerprinting for immigration is not done at this Department.
  • New Jersey FIREARMS ID card -$5.00
  • Permit to purchase a handgun - $2.00 for each permit

PERMITS:   Forms are available on the FORMS tab

  • Firearm permits
  • Handgun Purchasing permits
  • Solicitors / Peddlers Permits
  • Non-Profit Organizations Soliciting permits
  • Temporary Handicapped Parking Permits


  • Fingerprinting (for employment, citizenship, etc)


The South Plainfield Police Department does provide Fingerprinting services for residents. If you are not a resident of South Plainfield please contact your local police agency for assistance. There is a fee of $2.00 per card and taken between the hours of 08:30 AM and 09:00 AM By by appointment only on Tuesdays . To make an appointment call (908) 226-7670.


The South Plainfield Police Department can provide you with a local records check under certain conditions. Most employers are seeking a State-wide records check which we cannot provide. All criminal records are the responsibility of the New Jersey State Police. Contact them at (609) 882-2000 for information on obtaining Criminal History checks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         


All permits must be applied for in person at the records window. Forms for permits are available on the FORMS tab.